Monday, December 04, 2006

 

Snow Day!

Well, we got hit with that snowstorm, December 1st and we got snowed in!!! Karl is out now shoveling, has been shoveling for 4 hours and just at 3/4 of our driveway and the front walk. The snowplows have not made it to our cross street yet, nor have I heard them on the the other secondary roads. We are on a tertiary road. I think they are probably still plowing the highways. It appears that here at our house we got around 12 inches of snow. At least what I can see from where Karl is shoveling and the edge is. Amazing!!!!! It fell beginning late last night, between 10 and 11 just lightly snowing, and then stopped around 10:30 or so this morning.

It is beautiful. I love that I got the call from my boss saying to stay home, since I'm out of town...at least to wait and see, and when I checked in at noon, she agreed there was no point trying to go in today.

The sun is shining (in and out) this afternoon, and it looks lovely on the snow! But it is only about 18 degrees out there, less with wind-chill!

Anyway, what a nice end to the week! Though I am supposed to work at the eye clinic tomorrow--that is, if we can get out... ; )

Happy Winter, Everyone!


UPDATE:

Well, at 10:30 last night (Friday December 1) we finally called the Road Commissioner to find out when our road would be plowed. He was still out plowing in another nearby town. Said he'd been out plowing since 3:30 yesterday morning, poor guy. We asked him to try to do our road before 7 this morning so I can get into work, since I missed yesterday, and this would amount to extra income. He came right over, must have been on his way home, and plowed our street by 11 last night. phew.

Well, we noticed the house getting colder but took it in stride, with the space heater and quilts, soup, tea, we'd been okay. We turned up the thermostat to warm the house up before bed, and never did hear it come on. Well, we thought the pilot light must be out. Karl worked on it a bit, kept lighting the pilot, but wouldn't stay lit. It now appears that our thermalcoupling is probably "burnt out" again--this happened 2 years ago, too. Great, frigid cold and no heat.

So, between the thermostat/heater and the problem with my car, I guess I know where my Christmas money from our families is going!

Can you believe it? When it rains, it pours. Or, is that when it snows, it showers! lol

Have a good day and weekend, I couldn't get in to work Saturday, as Karl had to dig out where the plow pushed 4 feet of snow at the end of the driveway. Then when he did try to drive to town, it took 2 hours for a 30 minute trip, and was very slippy-slidey, and dangerous. Now, the plow broke down when he showed up Sunday to plow and so we've only been plowed once... figures....but I must work today (Monday December 4) so we have to try it!

hugs, Berta

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?